- Shop only at Internet merchants you know and trust; if in doubt, check with the Better Business Bureau or search the Internet for reviews about the merchant.
- Beware of e-mails offering cut-rate prices on items; if the offer sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
- If you receive an unsolicited e-mail from an Internet merchant, do not click on the links within it. Instead, locate the merchant's web site address through a reputable search engine or type the known address.
- Check Internet merchants' refund policies; some merchants set a deadline for returns or charge a fee to accept return merchandise.
- Never share your passwords with anyone. Use different passwords for different web sites.
- Do not provide your Social Security number, birth date or mother's maiden name in an e-mail or within a merchant's web site.
- Ensure your computer has the latest anti-virus software installed before shopping online.
- Always print and save the confirmation page when completing an online purchase.